Cased special order C.G. Bonehill 12 gauge pigeon grade engraved 2 barrel set, belonging to Alfred Conyers Newson, Fish Creek Ranch, Calgary, Alberta.
Matching number 2 barrel set, with one set being choked in full and full, and the second set being choked modified and modified, as ordered by Mr. Newson in 1891, and receiving the gun in 1892. The gun is a pigeon grade model, being factory engraved , hammerless, and with double triggers and extractors. Both barrels are 28 inches in length with a single bead, and fitted with one interchangeable fore end, as per his instructions. The barrels are manufactured of the highest grade damascus steel,, with both barrels being marked “C.G. Bonehill, Maker, Birmingham” along with “Finest Damascus”. The stock is of a higher grade English walnut with pistol grip, and checkering to the raised panels behind the action, as well as to the length of the pistol grip. The single fore end is also matching, with full length checkering and a horn fore end cap. An engraved initial plate is inlaid into the stock bearing Mr. Newson’s initials.
The Action is profusely engraved, covering 100% of the metal work with scrolling and maple leaves. The sides of the action are marked “Belmont Interchangeable Hammerless” signifying the model of this being a pigeon grade, and having 2 sets of barrels. A rubber recoil pad has been added to the stock at some point in history. The interior of the case has been properly and professionally restored in the correct color and fabric to the original issue, and retains the original factory label.
The gun itself is in its original condition, showing the original finish, with the action locking up tightly and correctly with both sets of barrels. The barrels also show the original aged finish, having turned to a nice and even grey appearance, exposing the fine patterning of the damascus barrels, both having bores and chambers being bright and excellent in condition. The stock and fore end are also in excellent condition showing the original color and finish of the wood and fine high count checkering. The exterior of the case is also excellent, with the leather covering being soft and pliable with strong stitching throughout, with only the straps being replaced. The brass lock functions correctly, and the case with it’s original brass name plate, reading “A.C. Newson, Calgary”. The case has also been completed with a brass cleaning rod and cleaning fixtures of a later date.
The gun is accompanied with a letter showing the history of Mr. Newson, along with his family genealogy, and a copy of his land title.
Alfred Conyers Newson was born in England in 1853, and immigrated to Canada in 1884, and and was listed as a druggist in the 1981 census. He gave his address as “Fish Creek Homestead”, SE 1/4 of Sec 36-21-3-W5M in 1889, having purchased the land for $4.00 per acre, which is now known as “Fish Creek Park”, in Calgary, Alberta. Later, he operated his ranch known as “The Grasslands”, in Millarville, just south of Calgary, and was noted for “….being able to produce good hay that had a good yield”. In 1894, he went into partnership with George Lane (one of the original four that started the Calgary Stampede) and T.J. Templeton, who all incorporated the “Willow Creek Cattle Company”. Mr. Newson is also listed as a cattle breeder, and is shown in the American Hereford Record and Hereford Herd book, Volumes 14 and 15. Mr. Newson passed in 1901 and was interned with previously deceased family members in British Columbia. The gun was then passed through the family, and was then sold in 1955. (The photo shows the original building that housed Mr. Newson’s pharmacy, taken after his passing, 1910, and after change of ownership. From the Glenbow Museum Archives.)